I've just recovered from being sick for more than two weeks. It started with sore throat and escalated to a cough, congestion, and a three-day fever. At one point I wondered if I should have gone to the emergency room, but my body burned off whatever infection was plaguing me.
Here are a few things I did that made being sick and foregoing medication more bearable.
1. Gargle with salt water: Gotta kill those germs
2. Drink tons of hot liquids: I had soup, congee, hot water, and herbal tea. Even though I'm trying not to have sugar, I bought a bottle of raw honey to put in my hot water because my throat felt like I'd swallowed a pin cushion. During this time I went without my morning green smoothie.
3. Dry brush your skin: keep the fluid in your lymphatic system moving, especially if you're too sick to take gentle walks. I found this video useful.
4. Up your intake of vitamin C: I was taking 3,000mg a day.
5. Garlic between the toes: Place sliced garlic between your toes, wrap your feet with plastic wrap, and cover with two pairs of old socks. (You really don't want the garlic getting on everything.) For best results, do this overnight. I forgot to do this during this long illness, which may be why I was sick for so long.
I hope you're able to avoid this seasonal change cold or flu. I'm itching to get back to writing after weeks of sleeping.